Roczen 16:8 protocol
Take control of your health. For life.
Roczen Eating Protocol
This involves periods of eating and fasting over a 24-hour period to help match your natural circadian rhythms. The most popular time restricted eating is the 16:8, this is where you fast for 16 hours and eat for 8 hours. Other Roczen protocols are the 18:6 or 22:2, where the bigger number is the fasting period and the small number is the period in which you eat.
The Roczen 16:8 protocol.
Here is the suggested example of how to plan your day:
- Two meals a day.
- First Meal after 12pm (noon).
- Second Meal between 6pm and 8pm (must finish by 8pm). If you finish before 8pm you will be having a longer fasting period, which is beneficial.
- You will then fast between 8pm until 12pm the next day (16 hour fasting)
- In between meals, do not snack or consume any fluids with calories. Avoid Diet drinks.
Other examples of Roczen protocols:
- 6:8 – First meal 08:00, last meal 16:00 (having breakfast and later lunch)
- 8:6 – First meal 12:00, second and last meal 18:00
- 22:2 – One meal 18:00 and finishing by 20:00
Your Roczen Protocol has been individualised for you and is based on your metabolic profile obtained from your physical and physiological measurements. Speak with your Reset clinician if you wish to change your protocol.
If you wish to have three meals a day as your preferred eating pattern, speak with one of the Roczen team.
What should I avoid or limit?
- Avoid starchy carbohydrates (rice, bread, cereal, potatoes or grains)
- Avoid added sugar and artificial sweeteners
- Avoid alcohol during the Reset period
- Avoid all fruit except Blueberries, Raspberries and Strawberries. Eat after a meal
Drink plenty of water throughout the day aiming for between 2-2.5 litre per day. This would be at least 8 cups/mugs each day. Avoid ‘diet’ fizzy drinks and fruit juices. You can have tea and coffee as long as you have these without milk, sugar or any additional sweeteners.
Aim to drink a glass of water before each meal as this will help you identify if you are thirsty or hungry.
There is no need to count calories but listen to your body and learn to stop when you feel physically satisfied by using the hunger scale.
During the fasting window (16 hours) you should not consume any food, snacks and calorie fluids e.g. fruit juice, milk. Drink plenty of water. You can have caffeine with teas and coffees, but these have to be black with no milk, sugar or additional sweeteners. We also recommend that you avoid caffeine later in the afternoon as this might impact on your sleep and disturb your circadian rhythm.
Aim to be physically active on a regular and moderate basis. We would recommend aiming for 150 minutes of moderate activity each week during this period. This would be equal to 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week with 2 days off. The activity can be simply walking or other exercises and split into 10-minute blocks if this would help. If you currently do more or wish to do more, please speak with the Roczen team.
We would recommend that you weigh yourself in the morning after your morning routine to monitor your progress. If you feel that weighing yourself daily is too much and not helpful then aim to weigh yourself weekly on the same day, e.g. Sunday morning.
If you feel unwell at any time during the fasting period stop your fasting and consult your primary care physician or Roczen Team before restarting the protocol.